Returning a gift can be a headache--but it doesn't need to be.
- Keep tags on and outer wrapping intact: If you see that the gift is not going to work for you, keep it as untouched as possible.
- Get a gift receipt, if possible: The gift giver may have thought to have one tucked inside the gift box, or (if it's not too awkward), ask them for it,
- Return the gift when the store opens: Before salesclerks are busy and when everyone is rested and least frazzled,
- Be Patient: And leave yourself plenty of time,
- Know the store's return policy: If the item has been marked down since the giver purchased the gift, you may only get it's current retail price without a receipt.
We have asked some of the local Greenwich vendors to share their holiday return policies:
- Richards of Greenwich-- Open today 9 a.m. until 6 p.m. Store credit or exchange.
- Saks Fifth Avenue--Open today 10 a.m. until 6 p.m. Store credit or exchange good until 1/15/15.
- Hoaglands of Greenwich--Open today 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. Holiday items are not returnable. Returns may be made for store credit.
- Lulu Lemon-- Open today 10 a.m. until 6 p.m. Exchanges or store credit available until 1/11/14. After 1/11/14, at the discretion of the salesclerk.
- J.Crew-- Open today 10 a.m. until 6 p.m. If the item was a Final Sale, only an exchange is possible. If you do not have a gift receipt, store credit or exchange only.